Thursday, July 12, 2012

When the tables turn

When I was a teenager I recall not wanting to go on family vacations or have birthday parties and put that time/money towards a short-term missions. I felt misunderstood a lot of times. Now that I am parent of tween I see both sides of the table.
I have been wanting to take my kids to visit my parents in Germany and we found some great deals this week. As I was talking to my boys about Germany saving money for blue books (passport) and buying school supplies as they go on sale; not the fancy pencils, fun erasers, just the simple cheaper things they need. My oldest son says mom we are still going to Honduras to teach the Bible right! Oooh how the tables have turned and I see so much of myself  in this little boy from Ethiopia. I can't tell him that we are not going to teach the Bible and I can't tell him that we can always go to Germany another time. However, I don't see how missing three weeks of school (2 for Germany and 1 for Honduras is beneficial.
 When I was  his age I would view it is as just school eternal life is more important. As a parent eternal life is vital importance but you also need to relate to others and learn the basics in school- especially 3rd grade (division, multiplication, fractions, time elapse, matter, geography) So as I support and encourage a tween in short term missions I can now understand the headache, balance, and joys of young missionaries. 
We are praying together for direction as we make travel to Germany and Honduras. If we can attend a family mission project to Honduras another year or God provides for both trips. 
In ones mind you can easily say go to Germany on a mission trip-- yeah alternative motives and I really don't see us going into the squatter areas providing lunches and sitting down with a group of children doing a sidewalk VBS in Frankfurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment