Thursday, September 6, 2012

Shadrach Meshach and Abendego Exceptional Children

The memory verse for the month of September is Joshua 1:9. We are studying Shadrach,Meshach, Abdendego in Bible. It just so happens our social studies covers a unit on communication.
As many teachers have realized its hard to find interactive bible lessons that hit all 5 senses and learning styles. So here is what I am teaching on Friday. 

After our morning movement and we begin "I love to Read" theme song reading from the book of Daniel (Read with me Daily). Go over the story by first talking about King Nebekenzer and the gold statue. Children will decorate a refrigerator box. When children hear the ring tone on my phone they will say "I worship God" (reaching hands from heart outward). They will go to the furnace- a box decorated with flames and looks hot- but its  not hot. King Nebekenzer (teacher) will take them out of the box and say with the children- I worship God. 
During each scene I will take photos on my phone- 1) portfolio  2) sequence of events file folder game 3) use as review cards.  We will talk about how the golden statue was made by people and how people were made by God to worship God. 
In transition I will use a yourtube video of VBS song Joshua 1:9. Children will use bananas, pretzel sticks, and skittles to create a person praising God- then eat it. Talk about ways we can praise God and communicate to God. This will lead us right into our social unit on ways to communicate (sounds we hear, books we read, music we listen to, and the choices we make). Which then leads us into science how God's creatures communicate- chirps, rain drops, barking ect..) 
After our morning break we will go into addition. 3 men plus 1 equals 4,  4+1 through 10. 
I am hoping to get everything done by 1:30 so we have plenty of time to watch Veggitales movie. 

Teaching exceptional children in a private school has many perks and benefits. I never knew how much I would enjoy it!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment